27 Sept 2009

THE FUTURE OF PHOTOGRAPHY

I've been a photographer for, let me think, about 18 years now. Up until now it's all be quite straighforward. You got a job, you went out and photographed it to the best of your ability - then you got paid and then the tax man took a huge chunk of your profits! And in the early days the tax man got a large wad because most half decent photographers made a good living - including me. You sorta knew where you stood. But I must admit that at this point in my career I've never been more confused. Do I continue shooting stock for Getty when sales have been falling and will do so for some time. Do I channel more energy in trying to market my photoshelter site to generate more stock sales where 100% (not 30%) of the fee goes in my pocket? Do I try and get more editorial clients when newspapers and magazines are struggling so much? Do I venture into the online twitter, facebook, arena to try and create a bigger web presence? Do you do all 4 and then spread yourself too thinly and end up not focusing on anything? Do I get a job in a bar!? If you are reading this expecting an answer you might be disappointed. On the one hand it is all very exciting and on the other quite scary. You have someone like Chase Jarvis who is an online sensation and has done a great job of getting himself out there but, and he might also admit this, probably isn't the best photographer in Seattle but is certainly one of the richest. Is it really all about perception and marketing?
If you start seeing pictures of cocktails on this blog you will know I went and got myself a job in a bar!

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget that PhotoShelter also take 10%!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Graig and thanks for mentioning that. As I've yet to make a sale directly from the site I've not seen that figure deducted from my sales - when they come!

    ReplyDelete